Tuesday, January 29, 2008

What we wear show who we are?

Assalamualaikum wbt,
Alhamdulillah, syukur as for today I still have the chance to sit infront of my laptop to share my opinions.
I bought few female magazine especially those related to muslimah because I want to try to send my write up to them. I flipped those magazines but I felt something is not right. Those ladies potray with head scarf in those magazine, I don't know..but they don't seems like really cover their aurah. Wearing jubah, or long dress, long sleeves but with turtle neck and the head scarf just tied up to the back of their neck. It still expose part of the ears and neck...is that consider as properly covered their aurah?
They claimed they are muslimah magazine, but they are showing these kind of fashions, they are actually setting a new fashion trend, worst, new muslim fashion trend.
Then, I went to shopping complexes, I start to notice ladies with head scarf, covered their neck but with short sleeves? Then, pregnant ladies with head scarf and maternity dress that only knee length? Female teenagers with head scarf but to the head scarf thin, from far I can see her hair.
I don't know. I believe what we wear show who we are, at least it's influenced our first impression. I don't know how or what I can do to make muslimah realised how important to wear properly covered (if they decide to wear it, then do it properly, if they don't want to wear it, that is between you and The Creator, right?) But I think, it is good if I have my own magazine. Yes, Muslimah Chantik Magazine for muslimah....
I want to share my experience. This happened to me about 10 years ago when I first started to work in local advertising agency. During that time, I just graduated, young executive, coloured hair...my jahiliah era!
I took public transport to and back from work. I still remember that day I was wearing knee length skirt with a short sleeves shirt. While standing waiting for a bus, I noticed there is one lady in black and white attire, she went from one person to one person whispering something. At first, I thought she is somebody with mental problem till she stop at me and whisper to me "Jesus is son of Allah, follow Jesus and he will save you." (Nauzubillah!) Her voice is so sharp and clear. I can't stop her voice from keep whispering in my mind, it's like you keep playing your favourite song over and over and over again. I repeatedly say the Shahadah, I read Yassin and Quran but still it is there in my mind. I call my friend and later he sister gave me zam zam water.
I talk to my fiance (now is my husband) and he said maybe because they way I dress that attract that lady to stand infront of me and whisper those sentences. Maybe because of my appearance. She didn't go and say the same things to other ladies that properly covered her aurah.
That moments, I decide to wear head scarf and I did it right after I got married (just few months after that incidence).
Hope my story will be useful.
See you next time, insya allah.

No comments: